I recently finished "Come Closer" by Sara Gran and...wow. This book has stuck with me. It's my favorite interpretation of demonic possession so far! What did you all think/any recommendations for similar books?

Log in or sign up to leave a comment

level 1

My Best Friend's Exorcism is pretty good

I'd never heard of this, and just borrowed an eBook

level 2

Now I'm a 29 year old guy so there's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about but I feel Grady Hendrix really nailed the friendship of the 2 girls. Especially with the bittersweet ending (no spoilers).

level 2

This has always been recommended on this sub and I've never looked into it. Thank you, I definitely will now!

level 1

Sounds like an interesting book! Looks like a quick read too.

level 2

It is! It's one of the few books I've read recently where I wish it kept going (the other one is "After the Fall" by Noah Hawley)!

I read it in one sitting and it was fantastic. What I like most about it is that it is written in such a relaxed and straightforward style that when the demonic elements creep in, it seems natural. I think this is why it has stuck with me.

level 1

I absolutely loved Come Closer. It gets so creepy and uncomfortable, and it's really well done. Of the few possession stories I've read (including The Exorcist), I think it's my favorite.

Also, you could try "The Possession of Natalie Glasgow" by Hailey Piper. It's pretty short, shorter than Come Closer I believe, but it's pretty good. A fairly interesting take on possession, although I thought it faltered a bit in the end. It does have an incredibly creepy first chapter at any rate

level 1

It's really nice to see lots of people enjoying the horror it offers.

Personally, I felt it to be quiet underwhelming and not scary at all. But that's just me.

level 2

I found that the quiet underwhelming factor relaxed me and I let my guard down, so when the horror moved in I was open and really scared.

level 1

If you like demonic possession you should read A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. I know it's super recommended on here so you probably have already, but it's a fascinating look on the classic possession tropes a la The Exorcist.

level 2

I actually have this book but I haven't read it yet! Thank you, I'm starting it right now :)

level 2

Was coming here to say the same thing! The ending of Head Full of Ghosts was wonderful, absolutely wrecked me!

level 1

I loved this book. I'm sorry to say I don't have any recommendations, but her Claire DeWitt books are amazing.

level 1

Really?? I found it at a secondhand store, years ago, and just... couldn't get into it. Decided I maybe wasn't in the right mood for it at the time? Put it away for another day. I just checked now and I've still got it here, shelved.

Maybe I'll give it another go, since so many are recommending it.

level 2

Yes, I highly recommend it! I couldn't put it down and finished it in one sitting and wished it was longer! So jealous you get to read it for the first time :)

level 1

I read Come Closer last month and absolutely loved it. Excocist Falls by Jonathan Janz was decent!

level 1

I just purchased Come Closer! I love a good possession book, so I can't wait to get started.

level 1

I'd go to battle for Sara Gran but I've yet to read Come Closer. Yet this post has me so hyped that I am gonna start it today. Highly recommend her Claire de Witt series if you like the supernatural and detectives in the slightest.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/horrorlit/comments/gjdlsz/i_recently_finished_come_closer_by_sara_gran/

Posted by: tadtadpelote0268761.blogspot.com